Friday, November 16, 2007

An attitude of grattitude


I have been working on a Thanksgiving sermon this morning and I felt like I might take a minute or two to practice what I preach (always a good thing to do). So I present to you this day a list of things I am grateful for. If many of the things on the list seem mundane and ordinary, then I think I'm right on track- because God is fully present in those things as well as the grandiose celebrations of our lives.

  • I am grateful that a close friend's son has returned back to the US after service in Turkey, and another friend's brother is home from Iraq.
  • I am grateful for a church willing to give their pastor a sabbatical, and that I could help during the last three months so my friend could receive that gift.
  • I am grateful for Starlight- the new puppy that my brother and sister get to share their love with- I can't wait to meet her over my Christmas trip home!
  • I am grateful for a wonderful marriage to an amazing husband and for getting to have the wedding of my dreams this year.
  • I am grateful for a job I love- even when I feel totally overwhelmed by its magnitude at times.
  • I am grateful for a space to write- and at least three or four people to read that writing!
  • I am grateful for a church friend who was feeding the ducks at the lake the other day and told me not to think that no one was reading this blog- even if I'm not getting any comments- thanks for reading these theological rambles!
  • I am grateful for another friend at church- who is now at home dying well. I'm thankful for his influence on our mission trips, for his patience and love- especially with our teenagers. I am grateful for the five hours we spent this summer in his truck- coming home from our mission trip to Louisiana- we listened to Broadway show tunes the whole way! Now he is at home, surrounded by his family and church friends who drop in to remind him how loved he is. Sooner, rather than later, the cancer will get the best of his physical body, and God will say, "Well done, thy good and faithful servant."
  • I am grateful for the neighbor who just interrupted my writing to ring my door bell and introduce herself and bring me some delicious looking bread.
  • I am grateful for this wonderful rental house we live in. A place I look forward to coming home to- a place we can truly call home.
  • I am grateful for the Psalms, which I have been taking the time to read slowly- in a devotional way, rather than a academic way. They are beautiful and so full of the gamut of human emotion and devotion to God.
  • I am grateful for my education and the people who encouraged me along the journey.
  • I am grateful for the Christian Church (Disciple of Christ) who nurtured me along this path, who allowed me to ask questions and come slowly to an understanding of God's calling on my life.
  • I am grateful for the church I serve now, this beautiful first call out of seminary and for being able to love them, and let them love me back for almost four years now.
  • I am grateful for hospital calls- even like last Friday night- the chance to be a volunteer chaplain and to talk with a young man in the ICU about the things that really matter in life.
  • I am grateful for the way people let me stand on the Holy Ground that their lives are.
As Anne Lamott says, "Thank you, thank you, thank you." God, that is my prayer today.

No comments: