Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What I've been up to...

You haven't heard from me a whole lot lately, and that is because I have been working on a sabbatical grant proposal! For the past four and a half years I have been serving the same wonderful church and as a part of my contract of employment I will get to enjoy a three month sabbatical next year. I plan to take this sabbatical in July, August and September of 2009. On Sunday, I turned in a grant proposal to the Louisville Institute, who awards 40 grants a year for pastors taking sabbaticals.

I will spare you the full five page proposal- but here is my summary:

Rest, Renewal and Delight: Sustaining Delight in Ministry Beyond Year Five


Rest, renewal and delight: these are the gifts of Sabbath. I plan to experience rest, renewal and delight during my three month sabbatical. There are three particular areas in which I plan to experience delight: delight in God, delight in friends and family and delight in my vocation. I plan to visit with minister friends in Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri and have deep conversation about what sustains and delights them in ministry. I also plan to worship at their churches, experiencing delight in God and God’s people and the different ways they worship. Delight in my family will come from spending time with my family of origin in Kansas City, and spending time camping and on the beach with my husband of just over a year. Lastly, I plan to spend time reading good books, engaging in a deep prayer life, and writing about my ministry experiences. All these sabbatical plans are things that will restore and renew me while helping me experience deep and holy delight! This sabbatical will help me prepare for my next five years of ministry and beyond.

Please help think happy sabbatical grant-getting thoughts for me!

No comments: