Friends, I’m so sorry the weather is keeping us from being together for Ash Wednesday service but here a short devotion you can do at home:
• Read Joel 2:12-15
• Lent is a 40 day journey (not including Sundays) that takes us from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. During this time we pray, do good works for others, and ask for forgiveness for our sins. Some people give up something they enjoy and use the time, money or energy they would have spent on that thing to spend more time with God. Are you giving anything up this year? Are you adding any practices to your spiritual life?
• Read Psalm 23
• Do you need to ask God for forgiveness for anything in your life? Take a few minutes to think about or write on a piece of paper anything that you would like to turn over to God. Ask forgiveness knowing that God will grant it.
• Pray this prayer: Almighty and Everlasting God, You hate nothing that you have made and forgive the sins of all those who are penitent. Create and make in us new and contrite hears, that, lamenting our sins and acknowledging our weakness, We may receive from you, the God of all mercy, perfect forgiveness and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
• Read Matthew 6:1-6
• Gather some bread and juice and have a short communion service with your family. Remember these words from 1 Corinthians 11:23-26, “23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.”
A couple of other reminders:
1. The Henri Nouwen “From Fear to Love” devotion book starts today. If you haven’t picked up a copy there are a few left at the church.
2. Don’t forget to pray with your prayer partner(s) for the 2 or 3 challenge. If you need a prayer guide- call the church or email Sunny at: firstname.lastname@example.org