Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Newsletter Article this week

I would like to be able to tell you that I had some profound theological insight to share with you on this front page of the Chimes this week, but I cannot tell a lie (especially after I just preached about the Ten Commandments a couple of weeks ago). I must admit it, I’ve got wedding on the brain! As a write this, there are twelve days left until David and I get married here at First Christian Church. We are thrilled to be able to share this important day in our lives with our church family, and we hope that all of you will make plans to attend on August 11th and 2:00pm.

Of course one of the most important parts of the wedding planning for me is the ceremony. In the short time I have been an ordained pastor (three years now!), I have had the opportunity to officiate ten weddings, but when it comes to being the bride instead of the officiant it’s a whole different story! One of the things I found myself trying to do was to make our wedding ceremony unique, and not just a copy of any other wedding that I have been involved with before. When I thought about ceremony readings 1 Corinthians 13 was the first one that popped into my head (having been empowered by the groom to make this decision). Then I thought- I’ve heard that scripture read at so many weddings do I want to hear it at my own as well? Well, the answer is, of course I do! This scripture has been a favorite of mine throughout my life. I have heard this reading at other weddings because it is appropriate to talk about what love is on a day that two people (with God’s help) commit to practicing it together for the rest of their lives!

I imagine many of you had this scripture read on your wedding day as well. I don’t think this scripture ever gets old- because most of us forget what love is supposed to look like most of the time. The apostle Paul did not write this scripture about romantic love in particular; this was not his speech to a couple on their wedding day. No, instead he was trying to teach the people of the church in Corinth how to live with one another in love. His words are good advice to the church, and good advice in a marriage. We humans cannot always be patient and kind. We are not always able to refrain from being- arrogant, rude, irritable or resentful- but we can still strive to be. We can strive to love one another better because it is what God wants us to do. God wants us to love each other the best way we know how, and in 1 Corinthians we get a little better idea of what that means.

I wish for each one of us more kindness, peace and patience as we live together as God’s beloved community. And with God’s help I hope to exhibit these same loving traits in my marriage.

David and I thank you for all the love and support you have already given us, and we look forward to celebrating with you on the 11th!

No comments: