Monday, February 18, 2008

My husband and his friend Jamie


One of the things I love most about my husband is his compassionate heart. We met on match.com and one of the things I loved most about his profile was that he volunteers every summer with MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) as a counselor for their summer camp. He has done this important work for 24 years. With this incredible ministry of his comes a wonderful family of other MDA volunteers and of course, the kids who come to camp.

One such special soul was Jamie Durham. I met Jamie a couple of years ago when I first met David's camp friends. He was a sweet young man who always had a smile. Jamie also had Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy- and a life expectancy not much beyond the 22 years he had on this earth. David was Jamie's counselor and friend for many years and they were very close. Jamie died last Wednesday and this was hard on David.

We traveled this weekend to his funeral and it was apparent just how much he was loved by his family and his community. The MDA camp family was there as well and it struck me once again what an amazing group of people they are. The show compassion and love in remarkable ways that make a difference in the life of kids. They are also shown love by these young people that come to camp and are taught lessons about what really matters in life. Everyone talked about how Jamie always had a smile on his face. He was a special friend to David and he will be deeply missed.

The picture above is a picture of Jamie and David in the early days when Jamie was younger (don't they look realated?) I am so proud of my husband and the way he uses his time and gifts as a volunteer for MDA. I'm also thrilled that I get to go to camp as a counselor this year after visiting for two years!

No comments: