Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My favorite Christmas Song

Ok, I have to admit that I've been listening to the Indie Holidays  and Peaceful Holidays stations on Pandora since early November. I love Christmas music.  But I must tell you that my favorite Christmas song this year isn't one you may have even heard. My husband introduced me to it.  The song is, "Better Days" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Here are the lyrics:

"And you asked me what I want this year
And I try to make this kind and clear
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
'cause I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
And designer love and empty things
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

[Chorus]
So take these words and sing out loud
'cause everyone is forgiven now
'cause tonight's the night the world begins again

I need some place simple where we could live
And something only you can give
And that's faith and trust and peace while we're alive
And the one poor child who saved this world
And there's ten million more who probably could
If we all just stopped and said a prayer for them

[Chorus]

I wish everyone was loved tonight
And somehow stop this endless fight
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days"

These lyrics describe what I want for Christmas for the world. A fresh start, a new hope.  But you see that is exactly what we get every in the form of God's most perfect gift, a babe born in Bethlehem to give us hope, and a new beginning.

On Christmas Eve we will stand together, with our candles lit.  We will hold our light high and boldly proclaim, "tonight's the night the world begins again."

And the lyricist is right- I don't need boxes tied with string.  In fact I don't NEED anything.  What I have is perfect.  I am loved, I am safe, I am reasonably healthy. I am in both a great marriage and a great church. Life doesn't get much better than that.

I was feeling a little bit of turmoil in my soul the other night.  There has been a lot of emotion flowing in the past week as I told so many people I love that we are moving to Nebraska.  Tears flowed.  I am not a fan of making people cry- but I am incredibly thankful for being loved that much.  And then a 33 year old in our congregation died- which I absolutely cannot make any sense of.  And then some deranged gunman killed 20 children and 6 adults in Connecticut- and no one can make any sense of that.

Needless to say, I was sad.  But my solid rock of a husband was there beside me in bed. He was listening to his iPod while I was watching FRIENDS.  And then I heard our song come on (he listens loud).  So I asked him to turn the TV off, and put the song on the speakers on our nightstand.

And we held each other in the dark and listened to the Goo Goo Dolls sing about "better days."  I know they are coming, these better days.  I know because I am waiting for the Christ-child.  And he will bring better days.  Thanks be to God.

Go ahead and have a listen:

1 comment:

Greg Gildersleeve said...

Wonderful post, Sunny. Thanks for sharing.